"We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marianne Williamson

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gabby's Upsy Daisy Birthday cake



One of my favourite things to do is make birthday cakes for my kids. In our family, the kids spend a lot of time deciding what kind of cake to have. They change their minds heaps before making their final decision.  I spend hours the night before decorating. I love it. I think I probably get even more excited than the  kids! Birthdays are special. 
Friday marked our Gabby's 2nd Birthday. Where has that time gone? As a big 'In the Night Garden' fan, I thought an Upsy Daisy cake would be perfect. Gabby loved it and got really upset when my husband started cutting her up to be eaten. I thought it would be fun to take photos of the creating process so here we go-


The pattern pieces drawn and cut out
Small circle cake for head, large circle for dress, square for arm and legs

Icing supplies. So colourful!
Pin pattern to cake and cut out

All cut out, assembled and ready to ice
Rolling out the icing
Plonking it on the cake 
Gabby's comment was, "Love it!"
All finished after many hours!
The cake was pretty huge, but we ate more than I thought we would with the help of our 18 guests. 
Such a blessing to have 3 kids to make things for! Gabby has brought us so much joy in the 2 years she has been with us. I am so looking forward to seeing her grow and watch her personality develop. 

Happy Birthday my beautiful, clever, talkative, strong-willed girl. What a privilege it is to be your mum. I love you so much! xxx



3 comments:

  1. You just described my Bethany "my beautiful, clever, talkative, strong-willed girl", must be a 2 year old girl thing cause my Bethy will be 2 next week! LOVE that cake, we have big night garden fans here too, Bethy is obsessed and Elora likes it now too, whenever it's on she just stops and watches it.Happy birthday to your beautiful girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! Brilliant cake, and wonderful post.

    x
    Michelle
    Michelle's Style File

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cake & love that you have shared your making & decorating process, I too am looking forward to making more character cakes as Eleanor grows up :)

    ReplyDelete