"We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marianne Williamson

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentines gift for him

What on earth do you buy/ make for your man on Valentines Day?! Socks? Undies? Beer?

My man is a super humongous blessing in my life so I wanted to make something special, but not cheesy for him. (Is it cheesy? I'm not sure. Maybe just a little!) We are very into doing 'housey stuff' at the moment so I thought something for the wall would be good. I saw a similar idea to this on etsy, but the maps were cut into love heart shapes and the style seemed a bit girly/ country to me. So I printed 6 maps straight from Google Maps of special places including where he proposed, where we got married, our honeymoon, our first home, where our babies were born and our current home.


I wanted a proper photo mat cut to give it a professional look so I jumped online and found a 'collage creator' HERE where you can create your own photo mat in whatever colour/ shape you like. You can also choose from hundreds of different frames. I chose a cheap white one. I was super impressed with this company! This idea only came to me really late on Sunday night and the frame arrived first thing this morning (Tuesday)! So fast, and the frame and mat are better quality than I had imagined!




I used a silver pen to write on the photo mat underneath each map giving it a more personalised look. I did my best to copy my favourite font called 'Pupcat'. You can get it free online.



I love the abstract, funky look of framed maps and the colours tie in well with our decor. The Google maps are not the best quality and I would have loved to cut up a real street directory, but I couldn't find a suitable map for our honeymoon in Bali and I couldn't leave that out.



I'd love to see everyone else's ideas for Valentines Day. Feel free to post a link to your amazing ideas! If not, you still have time to have a go at this one. Go on!!



Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

  1. That is so creative! What a great idea. I will def keep that one tucked up my sleeve x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it Bec! and I am sure he will too....so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really sweet. What a fun idea. Thanks for sharing this with me!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this it's really helpful.
    picture framing

    ReplyDelete